Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:Attorneys hope Netflix's 'Mr. McMahon' will 'shed light' on WWE CEO's alleged abuse -Prime Capital Blueprint
TradeEdge Exchange:Attorneys hope Netflix's 'Mr. McMahon' will 'shed light' on WWE CEO's alleged abuse
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 15:37:34
The TradeEdge Exchangeattorneys for the woman who filed a lawsuit against former WWE CEO Vince McMahon for alleged abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking said they hope the upcoming Netflix documentary on the controversial wrestling figure will "portray the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior."
In January, former WWE employee Janel Grant filed a lawsuit in the state of Connecticut that detailed her experience at WWE's headquarters. Grant alleged McMahon made her sign a non-disclosure agreement about their relationship for an agreed amount of $3 million, but she didn't receive full payment from McMahon and wants to void the agreement with the lawsuit. Grant is also suing WWE’s former head of talent relations John Laurinaitis.
Next week, Netflix will release the docuseries "Mr. McMahon"on Sept. 25, promising to "delve into the mogul's controversial reign" in charge of the biggest wresting company in the world. In addition to interviews with McMahon himself and other prominent figures in wrestling, such as Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson, Hulk Hogan and Paul "Triple H" Levesque, the series hints that filming took place when Grant's lawsuit was announced.
Ann Callis, an attorney for Grant, said in a press briefing on Thursday she hopes the series will shed light on her client's story and that she feel it "does it justice."
"Because of the extreme cruelty, degradation, exploitation and violence she was subjected to on a near daily basis for more than two years, (Grant) now suffers from severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, suicidal ideation and the inability to leave her home for weeks at a time," Callis said. "We hope it shines a light on the abhorrent actions of McMahon, frequently on WWE property, and it portrays the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior."
McMahon resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, parent company of WWE, the day after the lawsuit was filed. but the wrestling company's founder maintains his innocence.
“I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name,” McMahon previously said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports.
Grant did not take part in "Mr. McMahon," Callis added, and did not clarify whether she was asked to be part of it. Callis only said Grant "deserves the opportunity to tell her full story, not be a part of someone else's."
"(Grant) will get her day in court, and McMahon will be held accountable," Callis said. "She would like to expedite all proceedings as quickly as possible, and Janelle has the right to tell her story in her own way at the right time."
While Grant wants to expedite the proceedings of the lawsuit, the case is currently paused because the U.S. Department of Justice is conducting its own investigation. Grant's attorneys have not heard any updates on the federal investigation but said they want it to proceed quickly so her lawsuit may continue.
Last month, Grant also filed a petition to obtain her medical records from Dr. Carlon Colker. Callis said McMahon arranged visits for Grant to Colker and they're requesting all communication between them. Colker and Peak Wellness filed an official complaint to the petition, stating it's part of Grant's "smear campaign" against WWE.
When asked about any contact Grant has had with WWE since her lawsuit was filed, Callis said there was some initial "very brief" outreach by WWE, but nothing from the company since.
"Janelle Grant's a human being. As I've said before, she deserves justice," Callis said. "She's a victim and a survivor, she is not a WWE storyline."
veryGood! (15)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Police find body of missing 5-year-old Darnell Taylor, foster mother faces murder charge
- Taylor Swift donates $100,000 to family of radio DJ killed in Kansas City shooting
- Driver who rammed onto packed California sidewalk convicted of hit-and-run but not DUI
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Get a Tan in 1 Hour and Save 46% On St. Tropez Express Self-Tanning Mousse
- Love Is Blind Season 6: What Jess Wishes She Had Told Chelsea Amid Jimmy Love Triangle
- Heather Rae El Moussa Reacts to Valentine’s Day Backlash With Message on “Pettiness”
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Judge rejects Texas AG Ken Paxton’s request to throw out nearly decade-old criminal charges
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Salad kit from Bristol Farms now included in listeria-related recalls as outbreak grows
- How often do Lyft and Uber customers tip their drivers? Maybe less than you think.
- RHOP's Karen Huger Reveals She Once Caught a Woman in Husband's Hotel Room
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Philadelphia traffic stop ends in gunfire; driver fatally wounded, officer injured
- Russell Simmons sued for defamation by former Def Jam executive Drew Dixon who accused him of rape
- Eras Tour in Australia: Tracking Taylor Swift's secret songs in Melbourne and Sydney
Recommendation
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Trump Media's merger with DWAC gets regulatory nod. Trump could get a stake worth $4 billion.
Ex-FBI official sentenced to over 2 years in prison for concealing payment from Albanian businessman
Taylor Swift gives $100,000 to the family of the woman killed in the Chiefs parade shooting
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
What are the best women's college basketball games on TV this weekend?
You could save the next Sweetpea: How to adopt from the Puppy Bowl star's rescue
What is Christian nationalism? Here's what Rob Reiner's new movie gets wrong.